We’re working to grow native plants all across Ottawa South! OSEAN volunteers have been saving seeds from their gardens, collecting seeds from the Ottawa Wildflower Seed Library and other gardeners, as well as starting seedlings inside and outside to help get more native plant gardens started. We’re supplying free native plants so that local gardeners, in yards, balconies, or patios, can supply the perfect food for bees, butterflies, other pollinators and birds.
How it works
Please note that we are not currently accepting applications for plant kits. We will update this page and post on Facebook if we have more available later this spring. You may also find us distributing individual native seed packets and/or seedlings at events in Ottawa South.
In early May, 80 gardeners signed up to receive a free native plant kit for either a sunny or a shady garden. If you signed up for a kit, we will be in touch soon by e-mail with more information. This year we are offering three kit sizes: small (3 plants), medium (10-12 plants), or large (18-24 plants). Please note that large kits are only available to those who have not already received a full (15+ plant) kit in a previous year.
We are adding local pollinator patches (with permission) to the David Suzuki Foundation Butterflyway map to help show the connectedness of native plant food sources accros Canada. The garden locations are listed by street or neighbourhood, not by address.
- Read our Program Guide for details on the program
- Consult our Resource Document for further links to help you build your pollinator patch knowledge
- Watch a presentation by Berit Erickson to learn how to select the right area for your yard, how to prepare that area, and then how to design your patch based on how much sun and shade the area gets. The slides can be found here.
If you’d like to have a yard sign such as the one above, then you can fill out our yard sign form to show your interest, and we’ll get back to you when we’re ready to order and to confirm your request.
With thanks to our supporters
- City of Ottawa (https://ottawa.ca)
- Naturaide (http://www.naturaide.ca)
- Ottawa Wildflower Seed Library (https://wildflowerseedlibrary.ca)
- Ecoasis Landscape Restorations (http://www.ecoasisrestoration.ca)
- Fletcher Wildlife Garden (https://ofnc.ca/programs/fletcher-wildlife-garden)
- Green Thumb Garden Centre (https://www.greenthumbgarden.ca)